1) Extremely Durable & Long Lasting: Metal roofs can withstand the elements, sun, rain, snow, or ice for far longer than asphalt. In fact most homeowners that choose a metal roof will never have to replace it. While traditional asphalt roofs have a lifespan of 12-20 years metal roofs last 40-70 years.
2) Moss & Fungus Proof: Metal roofing is 100% unaffected by mildew, fungus, and moss. Not only are these afflictions an eyesore but they can also shorten the already too short lifespan of an asphalt or wood roof by as much as half.
3) Pest Proof: Rodents, birds, and insects are the most common pests that are often the number one cause for a roof to be repaired. The damage can go beyond the roof though if the pests penetrate into the actual home. Metal roofing however is immune to these nuisances.
4) Resistance to Extreme Weather: High intensity winds, fire, and hail are three of the biggest threats to a home. Metal roofs can withstand all of these ailments with little to no damage. Most metal roofs exceed the strictest U.S. building codes and their strength is so revered that some home insurers will offer discounts as high as 30% to homeowners with a metal roof. While metal roofs can withstand wind speeds of 110-130 miles per hour most asphalt roofs can be damaged by winds of 70 miles per hour and up.
5) Sustainability of Metal: At least 30 percent of materials used to create a metal roof are recycled and in some cases that is as high as 100 percent. All metal roofs can be recycled at the end of their lifetime as well. Additionally metal roofs stay cooler than asphalt under hot temperatures therefore reducing the demand for electricity/AC. Metal is able to do this because it is reflective and can absorb much of the heat that it does not reflect.